JUTE BASKETS | CARE INSTRUCTIONS
The Dharma Door jute basket collection has been designed with both function and style in mind. The textural weave and natural jute tones of our baskets will add warmth and character to any room and are neutral enough to sit comfortably in most interiors and the variety of shapes and sizes are perfect for many different uses around the home. Our Laundry Baskets make a practical and beautiful vessel to hold your worn clothes between washes; our Small Baskets are ideal for functional storage in the bathroom or kitchen; the Medium Baskets offer somewhere stylish to store children's toys and as catch-alls for everyday objects; and our Large Baskets are perfect for pillows, blankets or firewood.
Each handcrafted jute basket in our collection has been designed and made to last. We select the highest quality blonde jute and make sure our artisan partners maintain our quality standards throughout production. This ensures our baskets are strong and will stand the test of time. So however you choose to use your basket, it is sure to add purpose, texture and style to your home for many years to come.
Artisanal objects have long been appreciated for their uniqueness. Because our woven baskets have been completely handcrafted by Fair Trade artisans in small village communities in Bangladesh, they are one of a kind and reflect the individual weaving style of the artisan who made it. We believe that this is part of the special appeal of handwoven products and hope you will appreciate the individuality of each piece as much as we do.
HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR JUTE BASKET
When your basket arrives it will be folded in a satchel or box. We recommend that you unpack your basket and take a little time giving it some attention to help it look like it does in our images. Here are a few tips to help your basket to find it’s shape again and sit beautifully in your home:
- Your basket is durable and very well made, so don’t be afraid to handle it back into shape.
- We suggest you fold any creases back on themselves ie. in the opposite direction to how they’ve been folded. Do this a few times and coax the basket into shape.
- We also recommend stuffing the basket with a heavy blanket or towels and leaving it 24 hours or overnight to help it find its shape.
You’ve invested in a quality piece and we want to help you to care for it well. Here are a few simple tips to keep in mind so you will be able to enjoy your jute basket for many years to come:
- You may choose to add protection to your basket prior to use. We recommend using a protection spray that is suitable for natural fibres and that filter UV light to limit yellowing of the jute over time. We recommend a product called Fiber ProTector® by MicroSeal as it is specifically formulated to suit natural fibres and will protect your basket from dirt, spills and yellowing.
- To clean your jute basket, we suggest an occasional gentle vacuum to keep it fresh and free of dust, or take it outside on a dry day and lightly shake it to remove dust particles.
- Prolonged sunlight and water can alter the colour and strength of jute fibres, so be sure to position your basket where it will not be exposed to direct sunlight or damp for extended periods.
- Jute is prone to mould if it is left damp for prolonged periods. Blot water-based spills with kitchen paper or an absorbent cloth as soon as possible and allow your basket to dry thoroughly before using it again.
- If you're planning to put a potted plant in your basket, place a tray in the bottom that is larger than the pot to catch any excess water. Ideally the sides of the tray should be at least 1cm high. This will also allow you to use a simple pot with a hole at the bottom, providing better drainage for healthier plants. To give your plant a deep water every now and then, remove it from the basket if possible and take it outside or to the laundry sink or bathtub. Allow it to drain thoroughly before placing it back into the basket. This will also give you an opportunity to shake out any dust or soil debris that may have found its way into your basket.
- Do not rub stains or spills from your basket as this may spread the stain and loosen the jute fibres. For oil-based or coloured spills, please consult a specialist cleaning professional.
- To ensure your jute basket retains its shape, we advise you to reshape every now and then as per the steps for when you receive your basket.
We offer a 10% discount code for all published product reviews. Remember to leave a review on the product page sharing what you love about your basket.
Be sure to tag us on instagram @thedharmadoor to share your style!