New to our collection, the Small Round Kala Rug will bring warmth, texture and a relaxed resort vibe to your home. This truly unique floor covering can be used indoors or in a covered outdoor space and is the first of its kind in Australia. Each piece is beautifully handmade with strong yet soft fibres, sourced from the leaves of banana trees in a small village in southern India.
Designed to create that 'holiday at home' feeling, these rugs have a variegated palette of natural brown tones – from light to dark – and will add warmth and texture to your home. Suited to most decor styles, they sit beautifully amongst whites, other natural fibres and warm tones of timber and rattan.
At 160cms in diameter, this handwoven small jute rug will sit beautifully in a child's bedroom or playroom as a comfortable surface for your little ones to play on. The scale and size of the small Kala rug also makes it ideal for adding an extra layer of texture to a home office, walk in wardrobe, small living room or an entryway.
Our sustainable banana fibre rugs are handcrafted by a group of artisan women in a small village in southern India. They are part of a not-for-profit initiative established in 1998 that supports the women to learn skills and earn an independent income, while also creating a space, where they can work together, share their experiences and learn from one another as a family. The ultimate aim is to provide a better income, social status and empowerment to these talented women.
Looking for something a little larger? Check out our Kala Round Rug - Large.
To elevate the resort vibe and create a cohesive look and feel throughout your home, pair this rug with the Kala Banana Fibre Floor Runner.
Want to know how to care for these rugs? Click the CARE tab below or head to our Rug & Runner Care Guide in our journal.
- 160cm diameter
- - Fibres sourced from banana tree leaves
- The Kala Rugs are crafted from strong fibres that are sourced from the leaves of banana tress. A natural bi-product of the rural banana growing industry in southern India makes this rug truly sustainable.
- The raw material for these rugs is made by soaking the banana leaves – which are considered waste - to separate the two layers. While one layer is discarded as mulch, the other is cut into thin strips and twisted by the artisans to create long stands of banana fibre rope.
- The twisted rope is then crocheted to form the rug design by skilled women artisans who are paid fairly for their work.
- - Our rugs are crafted entirely by hand with natural banana tree fibre and special care is required to maintain their beautiful appearance.
- For safety purposes, we strongly advise that you use a non-slip felt or rubber underlay under this rug. This will also help to protect the woven fibres from stretching and pulling.
- We suggest gently vacuuming your rug to keep it fresh and free of dirt build-up. Occasionally take your rug outside shake it to dislodge deeper dirt particles that your vacuum cleaner may not extract.
- Can be used in covered outdoor areas.
- This rug will cope with most spills and can be washed if necessary. To do this, gently hand wash with a soft sponge and while still damp, shape the rug back to it's original form.
- For oil-based or coloured spills, please consult a specialist rug cleaning professional.
- Your rug will arrive folded. Simply unfold and allow the rug to naturally flatten over a few days in its desired location. You can also dampen the fold marks with a soft sponge and lay something heavy like a towel with a stack of books on more stubborn fold lines to help them flatten.
- There may be some minor shedding of fibres when you first receive and use your rug - this is normal and temporary.