Just at home in a rustic setting as it is in a modern space, the Kasba Jute Rug sits proudly amongst The Dharma Door's first collection of natural floor coverings.
This timeless rug has been handmade by fair trade artisans in remote, rural communities of Bangladesh. The women weave jute shapes, assemble the Kasba pattern and stitch the pieces together using needle and thread.
The result is like a contemporary patchwork that adds warmth, texture and character to any environment - an investment piece laden with meaningful making!
- 300 x 200cm / 9ft 10.1in x 6ft 6.7in
- - Plaited jute fibres
- Each shape is crafted by hand stitching rows of plaited jute, using wooden frames as guides to maintain the correct shape and size
- The shapes are hand stitched together with jute thread and a border is added to the rug
- - Our rugs are crafted entirely by hand with natural jute and special care is required to maintain their beautiful appearance.
- We suggest regular vacuuming of both sides of your rug to keep it fresh and free of dirt build-up. Occasionally take your rug outside on a dry day and shake or beat it to dislodge deeper dirt particles that your vacuum may not extract.
- Avoid prolonged direct sunlight or heat as this will discolour the jute fibres.
- Blot water-based spills with kitchen paper or an absorbent cloth as soon as possible. Do not rub stains or spills from your rug as this may spread the stain and loosen the jute fibres. For oil-based or coloured spills, please consult a specialist rug cleaning professional.
- You may choose a rug protection treatment prior to installing the rug in your space to prolong the life of your rug and minimise discolouration. We recommend MicroSeal, who are experienced in treating jute rugs and offer a DIY kit or a professional treatment service.