ZILA BASKET | CARE INSTRUCTIONS
ZILA BASKET | CARE & HANGING INSTRUCTIONS
The natural tones and subtle weaving patterns of The Dharma Door Zila Baskets will add stunning texture and personality to your home. Depending on the size, you may choose to use one for your tabletop centrepiece or hang one on the wall. If you prefer a neutral palette and lots of white, this beautiful handcrafted basket will introduce a touch of raw luxury to your home, helping to layer textures and neutral tones. The artisanal character of these baskets means every piece has its own unique pattern, making them ideal to display in multiples, and creating a bold textural statement in your interior.
Artisanal objects have long been appreciated for their uniqueness. Traditionally used for winnowing grain, each Zila Basket is handwoven with Ilala palm by a group of women artisans in Zimbabwe and crafted to a high standard for you to enjoy in your home for many years to come. Each basket is one of a kind and reflects the individual weaving style of the artisan who made it. We believe that this is part of the special appeal of handwoven products and we hope you will appreciate the individuality of your beautiful Zila Basket.
HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR ZILA BASKET
You’ve invested in a quality piece and we want to help you to care for it well. With a little attention, you will be able to enjoy your Zila Basket for many years to come. Here are a few simple tips to keep in mind:
- When you receive your basket, it may be slightly misshapen around the sides from it's time in transit. Please take some time to gently "massage" the sides and they will regain their shape when they've settled. You may need to do this several times.
- Each piece is completely handmade, with no two pieces identically the same. This means, you will receive a unique artisanal basket that may be slightly different to the images on our website.
- Strong direct sunlight may affect the colour of the palm fibres and prolonged damp may encourage mould growth, therefore we do not recommend this wall hanging for outdoor use where it will be exposed to the elements for long periods.
- To clean, we suggest you vacuum or dust your tray regularly.
- If you are using your basket for holding food, we suggest placing a cloth or paper towel underneath to protect from any possible stains.
HOW TO HANG YOUR ZILA BASKET
- The Zila Basket does not come with a hanging loop, so it may require some creativity and dexterity. Depending on whether you wish to hang your basket concave or convex, you will need to adjust your hanging technique. If you choose any of these options you will need to follow the hanging steps further below. We suggest the following ideas:
-Thread pieces of wire through the basket and tie them on the back to create a hanging loop and hang on a screw, nail or hook on the wall.
-Attach one half of a picture hook with wire or super glue to the basket and fix the other half to the wall. D-ring picture hangers or sawtooth frame hangers are best for this option.
- A simple hanging solution is to hammer a few nails straight through the centre of the wall hanging. If you choose this option, be sure to nail into wall studs if you have plasterboard walls as the nails won’t hold otherwise. You could choose brass or copper nails (and sand the heads so they’re not shiny) for this option so they are barely seen.
- Instead of nails, you could use small screws. If you choose this option, follow the hanging steps below where you will need to install wall anchors/plugs if you have plasterboard walls.
- If you are renting or unsure about the location of your wall hanging, use self-adhesive Command Hooks™️ that suit the weight of the Zila Basket that you’ve selected.
To hang, follow these steps:
- Measure where you want the wall hanging to hang and mark on the wall with a pencil according to the position of the nails, screws or hooks.
- a) If drilling into a plasterboard/drywall, brick, stucco or stone wall, use a drill bit that is the same size as the anchors/wall plugs. Drill your holes and hammer the anchors/wall plugs into the holes. b) If drilling into timber, use a drill bit that is the same size as the screws or cup hooks.
- Screw your chosen hook into the anchors/wall plugs or holes.
- Hang your wall hanging and enjoy the transformation to your space!
We offer a 10% discount code for all published product reviews. Remember to leave a review on the product page sharing what you love about your Zila Basket.
Be sure to tag us on instagram @thedharmadoor to share your style!